Friday, October 22, 2010

No Expert

This might seem like something that some people never find, but I want to tell you that it does wait for those that take time to seek it. I have sought love and it took time to find it. Love is not something mythical, but it is something that you have to dig deeper to find. We look for something that will fill that void that was left at Creation. "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him and help meet for him."(Genesis 2:18) I am not endorsing country music, but there is an old country song that talked about "looking for love in all the wrong places."(Waylon Jennings) I think that so many people look for short-term arrangements in the love department. "And I find more bitter than the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her, but the sinner shall be taken by her."(Ecclesiastes 7:26) King Solomon recognized the folly of his behavior. A love that promises satisfaction for a moment is vanity. It takes time to cultivate love and it takes a listening ear. I want to emphasize the listening ear. So many people talk too much and really don't take the time to listen. How do you get to know someone if you are always running your mouth? The apostle Paul emphasizes some very important things about love in I Corinthians 13. "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up."(13:4) "Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."(13:7)

There is a love that is unconditional and has no string attached. Jesus knows everything about us, and we need to take that time to get to know Him. Like any love it takes time to grow. I celebrate the love that I have cultivated with my wife, and it continues to grow a day at a time.

What the experts say will not help to find a love that is lasting. Let me tell you about a book that has everything you need to know about love, God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment